Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Meet Skye Jansen from "The San Francisco Wedding Planner" series by Mishael Austin Witty

Meet Skye Jansen

For the second round in the wedding planner series, we’re each supposed to concentrate on one character and write a back story for them. I’ve chosen Heather Donovan’s best friend, Skye Jansen, as my main focus. Her story, entitled AN URGENT AFFAIR, is going to be a fun look at some of the most important relationships in her life, including her relationship with Heather.

Today, Skye has agreed to take some time out from her incredibly busy schedule (you know she’s a devoted wife and mother of two young children AND she’s just opened her own cafe, The Cucumber Sandwich) to come talk to me and tell everyone a little more about herself.

Hi, Skye. Thanks for being here today.

Skye: I’m glad to do it. Actually, if you want to know the truth, I’ve been kind of looking forward to this because it gives me a little time to breathe. I haven’t had much of that recently.

I’ll bet! I can’t imagine how you do it all, but you really have made a success of it so far, haven’t you?
Skye: So far. I’ve had some amazing support, though, from my husband Abe and his mother…and, of course, my wonderful kids, Bram and Britt. Plus, everyone in Heather’s sphere of influence – Mario, especially – has been more than willing to help in any way they can. Heather’s got a marvelous team working with her.

She is one very lucky lady.
Skye: Hmm…Lucky, maybe. I’d call it blessed.

Right. You’re blessed too, though, aren’t you?
Skye: Oh, absolutely!

But things haven’t always been easy for you.
Skye: No, I’ve had my fair share of trouble.

Like your father dying when you were still in college?
Skye: Yes. That was especially hard because he and I became so close after Mama died when I was 10. He never did remarry. I don’t have any brothers or sisters, so it was just the two of us. I wish he was here to see me now. He’d be so proud.

I’m sure he would. Of course, your father’s death was one of the hardest things you’ve ever had to go through. What has been one of the best things that’s ever happened?
Skye: Oh, there are so many things, I don’t know where to start. Marrying my husband, of course. He’s just one of the most wonderful men you could ever hope to meet. And, of course, my children. Finally realizing the dream of opening my own store is the most recent good thing that’s happened. But that didn’t really “happen.” It took a lot of time and planning.

So, tell me about The Cucumber Sandwich. Why cucumbers, specifically? Are they your favorite food?
Skye: They really are! Organic, of course. They have to be organic. Everybody thinks I’m crazy for this focus on organic food and environmental responsibility, but they’ll be thanking me one day. Just wait and see.

Speaking of the future, what do you see happening in the future for you? For your family? For your business?
Skye: Goodness. I can’t even think very far past tomorrow. Of course, the kids will finish school, and I hope they’ll be admitted to the best colleges in the nation – full scholarship, of course, to make it a little easier on Mom and Dad’s pocketbook. But that’s WAY off in the future. I’d hope that my business will be thriving in another year…maybe it’ll even become one of the hottest spots in San Francisco eventually. That would be amazing! And I hope I’ll be there to enjoy it all. It would be nice to see some big rewards from all this labor.

Nice, indeed. I really hope everything turns out well for you. Thank you so much for stopping by for our chat.
Skye: Oh, you’re so welcome. It was so much fun!

And thank you, dear reader, for taking the time to get to know Skye a little better. If you want to know even more, be sure to check out AN URGENT AFFAIR and any of the stories in the series. The Amazon link for Mishael's stories is:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mishael+austin+witty+the+san+wedding+planner&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amishael+austin+witty+the+san+wedding+planner

1 comment: